I had been staring at a blank screen for hours in the morning while I was trying to churn out a post for today’s prompt until I finally gave up! I am not a feminist by any standards. I just believe in equality in everything. Men and women have equal contribution in this life and the wheels of life move ahead only when the two are in sync. Unless of course if we learn to create clones of ourselves or like they say in the serial “Almost Human”, create perfect chromes of ourselves, we are still entitled to equal share in this world.
How the disparity happened? How the social status of the woman got reduced to nothing? How inhuman crimes against women began? These are questions that I do not know the answers to. To tell you the truth, I am done with pointing fingers and trying to find someone to blame for the state of women in this world. It could have been mean women or meaner men. The key word here being “mean”.
What I would like everyone to focus on is on educating men and women about respecting every individual they interact with. Irrespective of caste, creed, religion or sex. They need to be taught to be kind to the people around them. They are to build a family of their own someday. They are to produce the next generation that will take over our places and run the administration of this world. If the adults are educated in this respect, the kids automatically get to learn this. And with this the crime and atrocities can be reduced. This, in my opinion, is the only way to solve the issue.
It is not a “man’s world” or a “woman’s world”. It is “our” world. And to protect this world, the education must begin at home.
1. Marriage minimum age must be increased to 24 for men and women. At least by then, the person has an idea what he/she wants to do with his/her life. They would have completed graduation and had a chance to make their own living even. Making every person , man or woman, self reliant is the first step.
2. Once the decision to have a child is made, other things like who is going to care for the child, who is going to take time out from work to tend to the child should be planned well ahead. This makes the planning of the child and its care giving much easier and stress free.
3. Financially sound family only can give a safe haven and a balanced home to a child. It is better to wait till your finances are sorted out and some money has been saved.
4. Life , although most don’t want to agree, is about giving life to a new generation of abled and responsible citizens. If you can’t manage to create more than one responsible citizen because of time and finance situation, stick to having just one child. Give the child all you have, in terms of education, sensibility and time.
5. Nobody should be judged if they decide not to have children. It is an investment too and getting into it should be done with proper planning and thought only. Nobody should be forced to have kids just because it is considered the norm!
These are just 5 points that I think every young adult should be made aware of. Times are changing, world is changing, it is time to change some of the norms and move ahead in life. Let us protect “Our World” and make it a better place for everyone , men and women alike. Let us inspire change in ourselves and the people around us. Let the ripple effect begin. The outcome can only be better anyway.
We don’t need a day to celebrate ourselves, but we do need a day to remind ourselves of our responsibilities towards future generations. Maybe a day like this can be used to unite the people of the world into making a happier world for all. Maybe one changed person at a time even.
She looked around to see if anyone recognized her. Her presence was a threat to a few in the room and she had come disguised as a waiter. Her moustache was the Hercule Poirot kind. Within minutes of entering the room, she spotted him. She walked towards him, handed him the drink laced with cyanide.
Every person seemed like a threat to him. The guilt of what he had done had been haunting him for months now. It wasn’t his idea to ruin that girl’s life. He was heavily under the influence of his friends and drugs. The company he had kept was bad. He at least feared his fate.
This is the story of a young Palestinian boy who makes a mark in this world with his intelligence and resilience. Even with the army throwing obstacles along his entire path, Ichmad manages to get himself and his family into a better future. The story begins with a 12 year old Ichmad witnessing the death of his young sister because of a land mine. The helplessness of war, the atrocities of the soldiers and the fragile lives of his family hanging between life and death are portrayed so well in this book that you can’t help but live his life with him.
The loss of another sister, his father going into jail, he losing his wife and up to the point that sees himself winning the Nobel Prize in Phyiscs. The story shows an entire lifetime of Ichmad and how he manages to live his dream despite the cruelties of war. Being forced to fend for his family since the age of 12, an injured brother who turns a rebel later on and fights with the revolution, this book shows it all. About how he managed to control his hatred and brought himself to love and trust again and how despite all odds he makes a life for himself and his family.
The book is an inspiration for sure. He made it out of the life of misery because of his brilliant mind, but the book also talks about another brilliant young mind, who gives his life to prove a point in the revolution. There in lies the strong will power and the patience Ichmad possessed and which got him to be successful in life. Of course with the backing of his father and his beloved teacher who helped by noticing the genius in him and encouraging him to chase his dreams.
I never read war stories. There is enough crime happening around us already. But this book although depicting the cruelties of war, manages to stay loyal to telling the story of a young man caught between life, responsibilities, his dream and a war.
I rate it 5 stars for its language, the story it told and the ease with which it was told.
Jeevan wasn’t aware that he had invited someone home this weekend. His cleaning maid, who had the house key, must have let whoever it was in the kitchen, into the house. He came out of his room and stretched himself wondering why the decor of his apartment looked different this morning.
The smell of the waffles and the humming of “Lat Lag Gayee” pulled him towards the kitchen , where he noticed the back of the woman who was placing the waffles onto a plate and pouring some syrup over it. When she turned, he saw, to his horror, that her face was covered with blood and one eye was popping out and was hanging on her cheek! He stood rooted to the ground in a state of shock.
Just then, he heard loud noises behind him and turned around to face all of his friends and family entering his apartment and wishing him a “Happy Birthday”. He turned around back towards the kitchen, but it was empty!
All through the cake cutting and the brunch that followed, Jeevan wondered why the face of the woman, he thought he saw, looked so familiar.
Photo Courtesy : www.edrants.com
Are you interesting in Writing? Are you interested in testing your ability to write for a challenge?
Then what are you waiting for? Come and join us at the Write Tribe Festival of Words 3. This time :
1. There is no need to sign up.
2. We do not have themes or pre prepared posts.
3. We just need to check Write Tribe for a genre the day before.
4. Write a post to match that criteria.
5. Publish it and add the link in the respective day’s post at Write Tribe.
6. Read other posts linked there. Comment and share the love.
The Genre for Day 1 is already out on Write Tribe. Do take a look.
And remember… Sharing is Caring…. 🙂
See you there. It is going to be challenging and fun!